List of Presidents of India for Bank and SSC Exam
The President of India is the constitutional head of the state. Dr. Rajendra Prasad was the first President of India. The President is also the Supreme Commander-in-chief of the Indian Armed Forces and the head of the three pillars- executive, legislature, and judiciary of the country.
Presidents of India are elected indirectly by an electoral college.
The constitutional idea is that the President is ruling the country at the advice of his Council of Ministers headed by the Prime Minister.
The following are a few important articles of the Indian Constitution that deals with the office of the President of India.
List of Articles that deal with the President of India-
- Article 52: There shall be a President of India.
- Article 53: Executive Power Of The Union
- Article 54: Election Of The President
- Article 55: Manner Of Election Of the President Of India
- Article 56: Term Of Office Of President
- Article 57: Eligibility For Re-election
- Article 58: Qualification For Elections As A President
- Article 59: Condition Of President’s Office
- Article 60: Oath Or Affirmation By The President
- Article 61: Procedure For Impeachment Of The President
- Article 62: Time Of Holding Election To Fill Vacancy In The Office Of President And The Term Of Office Or Person Elected To Fill Casual Vacancy.
Powers of the President of India:
The powers of the President of India are mentioned Under Article 72 and Article 352-360.
Article 72, empowers the President to grant pardons, etc., and to suspend, remit or commute sentences in certain cases.
- The powers are:
- Legislative Powers
- Executive or Appointment Powers
- Judicial Powers
- Diplomatic Powers
- Financial Powers
- Pardoning Powers
- Military Powers
- Emergency powers
The President of India holds office for a tenure of five years. It is calculated from the date he enters his office. The President of India can resign at any time from his office. He needs to address the resignation letter to the Vice-President. With the process of impeachment, the President can be removed from office before the completion of his term. The President is eligible for re-election to the office. He can hold office until his successor assumes charge, beyond his term of five years.
The President of India is elected through Electoral College. The Electoral College includes-
- elected members of both the Houses of Parliament,
- elected members of the legislative assemblies of the states,
- elected members of the legislative assemblies of the Union Territories of Delhi and Puducherry.
The voting is done through Single Transferable Voting and the second and subsequent choices are counted too, when needed.
Idioms for Bank Exams, Click Here
List of the Presidents of India:
Dr. Rajendra Prasad – (26th January, 1950 – 13th May 1962)
- The first President of India
- He worked as president for two terms.
- He was the Chief Leader of the Indian Independence Movement
- Rajendra Prasad was the President of the Constituent Assembly.
- He received the Bharat Ratna in 1962.
Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan – (13th May,1962 – 13th May 1967)
- His birthday is celebrated as Teacher’s Day.
- He was born on 5 September 1888.
- Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan received the Bharat Ratna in 1954.
Dr. Zakir Husain – (13th May 1967 – 3rd May, 1969)
- The First Muslim President Of India.
- After his death during his term, V. V. Giri (3rd May, 1969 – 20th July, 1969), the then Vice-President, became the acting President.
- Chief Justice of the Supreme Court Mohammad Hidayatullah became the next acting President.
Mohammad Hidayatullah – (20th July, 1969 – 24th August, 1969)
- Mohammad Hidayatullah was one of the pioneers in bringing a revolution in Education in the country.
- He received the Padma Bhushan in the field of art in 2002.
Important banking terms, Read Here
Varahagiri Venkata Giri – (24th August, 1969 – 24th August, 1974)
- The only person who was elected as an Independent Candidate.
- V. Giri received the Bharat Ratna in 1975.
Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed – (24th August, 1969 – 11th Feb, 1977)
- He was the second President, after Dr. Zakir Hussain who died in the post of the President.
- BD Jattha (11th Feb, 1977 – 25th July, 1977), became the Acting President
Neelam Sanjeeva Reddy – (25th July, 1977 – 25th July, 1982)
- He was the youngest President to occupy Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- He was directly elected as a Lok Sabha Speaker.
- Neelam Sanjeeva Reddy was the only President who was elected unopposed.
- He was also the first Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh.
- He was the youngest President who contested twice for the post of President of India.
Giani Zail Singh – (25th July, 1982 – 25th July, 1987)
- Giani Zail Singh was the first Sikh President of India.
- Operation Blue Star was carried out during his tenure.
R. Venkataraman – (25th July, 1987 – 25th July, 1992)
- He received “Tamra Patra” for his contributions in the Indian freedom struggle.
- For writing the travelog on former Tamil Nadu Prime Minister, Kumaraswami Kamaraj, he was awarded the Soviet Land Prize by the Russian Government.
Important Days for Bank Exam, Click Here
Dr. Shankar Dayal Sharma – (25th July, 1992 – 25th July, 1997)
- He was given the title ‘Living Legend of Law Award of Recognition’ by the International Bar Association due to his multi-achievements in the legal profession.
K R Narayanan – (25th July, 1997 – 25th July, 2002)
- He was the first Dalit President of India.
- K R Narayanan was the first President to vote in the Lok Sabha elections.
- He was also the first to address the State Assembly.
- He was the first Malyali President.
Dr. A.P.J Abdul Kalam – (25th July, 2002 – 25th July, 2007)
- He was the ‘Missile Man of India’.
- He was the first scientist to become the President of India.
- He was also the first President to win the most votes.
- He received the Bharat Ratna in 1997.
Shrimati Pratibha Singh Patil – (25th July, 2007 – 25th July, 2012)
- Shrimati Pratibha Singh Patil was the first woman President of India
- She was the first woman President to fly Sukhoi.
The 5 Hottest Technologies in Banking, Read Here
Pranab Mukherjee – (25th July, 2012 – 25th July, 2017)
- He received the best Parliamentary Award in 1997.
- Pranab Mukherjee received India’s second-highest civilian honour, the Padma Vibhushan in 2008.
Ram Nath Kovind – (25th July, 2017 – current)
- He is the current President of India.
We hope this list of presidents of India helped in the preparation of your bank exams.
To get Daily current affairs and other important materials of Bank and SSC Exam. Follow us on all social media.
- 𝐅𝐚𝐜𝐞𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤: https://www.facebook.com/ICDKLM
- Telegram: https://t.me/icdkollamudyogseva
- YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/icdkollam-jk/community
Download ICD Kollam app and start preparing for Bank or SSC Exam: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.icdkollam.main.app