Addressed as The Honourable (Hon’ble), in the formal sense, or His Excellency (in diplomatic correspondence), or Mr. Prime Minister (informal), the Prime Minister is the Head of Government and leader of the Council of Ministers of India. The Prime Minister heads the federal cabinet. PM is also the chief of the executive branch of the Central Government of India. PM reports to the President of India. The Constitutional position of the Prime Minister is that they acts as a link between the Council of Ministers and the President of India. So in this post, we will share with you list of prime ministers of India for Bank and SSC Exams.
Download Current Affairs of November 2021 PDF, Click Here
To become an Indian prime minister, the candidate has to be,
- A citizen of India.
- A Member of either Rajya Sabha or Lok Sabha
- He should have completed his 30 years if he is a member of the Rajya Sabha or 25 years of age if he is a member of the Lok Sabha
Powers of the Prime Minister of India:
- He leads the functioning and exercise of authority of the government of India.
- He is responsible for aiding and advising the president in distribution of work of the government to various ministries and offices as per Government of India (Allocation of Business) Rules, 1961.
- He is the head of:
- Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions (as Minister of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions)
- Cabinet Secretariat
- Appointments Committee of the Cabinet
- Cabinet Committee on Security
- Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs
- NITI Aayog
- Department of Atomic Energy
- Department of Space
- Nuclear Command Authority
- He acts as the leader of the house of the chamber of parliament.
- He is to announce important legislation, and is further expected to respond to the opposition’s concerns.
List of PRIME MINISTERS OF INDIA
1. JAWAHAR LAL NEHRU(1889–1964)
In Office: 15 August 1947 to 27 May 1964 (16 years, 286 days)
The first Prime Minister of India and the longest-serving PM of India, the first to die in office.
2. GULZARILAL NANDA (ACTING)(1898-1998)
In Office: 27 May 1964 to 9 June 1964 (13 days)
First acting PM of India
3. LAL BAHADUR SASTRI (1904–1966)
In Office: 9 June 1964 to 11 January 1966 (1 year, 216 days)
He has given the slogan of ‘Jai Jawan Jai Kisan’ during the Indo-Pak war of 1965
Idioms for Bank Exams, Click Here
4. GULZARI LAL NANDA (ACTING) (1898-1998)
11 January 1966 to 24 January 1966 (13 days)
5. INDIRA GANDHI(1917–1984)
In Office: 24 January 1966 to 24 March 1977 (11 years, 59 days)
The first and only female Prime Minister of India
6. MORARJI DESAI (1896–1995)
In Office: 24 March 1977 to 28 July 1979 (2 year, 126 days)
Oldest to become PM (81 years old) and first to resign from office
7. CHARAN SINGH (1902–1987)
In Office: 28 July 1979 to 14 January 1980 (170 days)
Only PM who did not face the Parliament
Important banking terms, Read Here
8. INDIRA GANDHI (1917–1984)
In Office: 14 January 1980 to 31 October 1984 (4 years, 291 days)
The first lady who served as PM for the second term
9. RAJIV GANDHI (1944–1991)
In Office: 31 October 1984 to 2 December 1989 (5 years, 32 days)
Youngest to become PM (40 years old)
10. Vishwanath Pratap Singh (1931–2008)
In Office: 2 December 1989 to 10 November 1990 (343 days)
First PM to step down after a vote of no confidence
11. CHANDRA SHEKHAR (1927–2007)
In Office: 10 November 1990 to 21 June 1991 (223 days)
He belongs to Samajwadi Janata Party
Important Days for Bank Exam, Click Here
12. V. NARASIMHA RAO (1921–2004)
In Office: 21 June 1991 to 16 May 1996 (4 years, 330 days)
First PM from South India
13. ATAL BIHARI VAJPAYEE (1924- 2018)
In Office: 16 May 1996 to 1 June 1996 (16 days)
PM for shortest tenure
15. D. DEVE GOWDA (BORN 1933)
In Office: 1 June 1996 to 21 April 1997 (324 days)
He belongs to Janata Dal
The 5 Hottest Technologies in Banking, Read Here
16. INDER KUMAR GUJRAL (1919–2012)
In Office: 21 April 1997 to 19 March 1998 (332 Days)
17. ATAL BIHARI VAJPAYEE (1924-2018)
In Office: 19 March 1998 to 22 May 2004 (6 years, 64 days)
The first non-congress PM who completed a full term as PM
18. MANMOHAN SINGH (BORN 1932)
In Office: 22 May 2004 to 26 May 2014 (10 years, 4 days)
The first Sikh PM
19. NARENDRA MODI (BORN 1950)
In Office: 26 May 2014 – Present
4th Prime Minister of India who served two consecutive tenures
Important facts about the Prime Ministers of India:
- The Longest-Serving Indian Prime Minister is Jawaharlal Nehru (1947 – 1964)
- The first woman Prime Minister to receive the Bharat Ratna is Indira Gandhi.
- The First Non-Congress Prime Minister of India is Morarji Desai
- The Youngest Indian Prime Minister is Rajiv Gandhi.
- The First Prime Minister of India who was a member of the Rajya Sabha is Indira Gandhi.
- The Second Longest-Serving Indian Prime Minister is Indira Gandhi.
- The Indian Prime Minister who received Pakistan’s highest civilian award is Morarji Desai.
- The First Prime Minister from South India is P.V. Narasimha Rao.
- The Acting Prime Minister Twice is Gulzari Lal Nanda.
We hope this list of prime ministers of India helped in the preparation of your bank exams.
To get Daily current affairs and other important materials of Bank and SSC Exam. Follow us on all social media.
- 𝐅𝐚𝐜𝐞𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤: https://www.facebook.com/ICDKLM
- Telegram: https://t.me/icdkollamudyogseva
- YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/icdkollam-jk/community
Download ICD Kollam app and start preparing for Bank or SSC Exam: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.icdkollam.main.app