Current affairs are important part of Bank, SSC, KPSC and all the competitive Exams. In this article, we are going to share with, April 2021 Current Affairs. These monthly current affairs will help you in the preparation of Bank, SSC and All competitive exams.
Current Affairs is a very vast and dynamic topic. Sometimes we need proper analysis as well. Apart from understanding the concept, it requires memorizing the facts and figures. The facts and figures are constantly changing, and all the aspirants need to keep themselves updated. We get almost 50 different news to read every day, and remembering all the current news of the past 6-8months is not an easy nut to crack. And to make easy for you, ICD Kollam is here. This is the Current Affairs of May 2021
Banking/Financial Awareness (May 2021 Current affairs)
- Increased the Way and Means Advances (WMA) from Rs.32,225 crore to Rs.47,010 crore
- Enhanced the limit of maximum balance at end of the day maintained in Payment Bank from Rs 1lakh to Rs 2lakh per individual
- Announced to conduct the open market purchase of govt securities of Rs 1lakh crore under G-sec Acquisition Programme
- RBI constituted an advisory group to assist the 2nd Regulatory Review Authority (RRA 2.0) – headed by SBI MD S Janakiraman.
- ICICI & Axisbank- Amazon&Visacards– New Umbrella Entity (NUE) for retail payment.
- ICICI Bank and PhonePe– FAST agusing UPI on the PhonePe App.
- Merchant Stack– For Retail merchants.
- SBI Funds Management Pvt.Ltd-1st mutual fund house in India to cross the Rs. 5 lakh crore Average Assets Under Management (AAUM) mark
- SBI- Japan Bank $ 1bn – to provide loan to Japanese Automobile manufacturers in India
- Shivrai Technologies partnered withYono SBI to help smallholder, marginal, and large- holder farmers by way of a free application- Farmizo Khata . Shivrai also owns their own B2B brand, FarmERP.
- HyperVerge & SBI – facilitate the AI-powered Online Account Opening.
- Dutch Entrepreneurial Development Bank (FMO) – $ 137 mn in India’s Green Growth Equity Fund (GGEF)
- Jana SFB partnered with Aries securities – to offer Banking and Investment
- Ujjivan SFB – Mobile App ‘nLines’ & nStore Technologies
- Indian Bank– Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar launched ‘Madhukranti Portal’– Honey producers
- Union Bank of India– UNI -CARBON CARD, an HPCL co-branded credit card on Rupay platform
- Axis Bank– Share Purchase Agreement – for sale of 100 % stake in its subsidiary, Axis Bank UK Limited to OpenPayd Holdings Ltd.
- Bharti Airtel– RelienceJio Infocomm – ‘Right to Use’ – 800 MHz spectrum.
- Facebook partnered with Indian govt – to roll out a Vaccine Finder Tool on its mobile app – USD 10 million
- Wipro– 3rd largest Indian IT services company by market capitalization of $ 2.65 trillion
- New Development Bank– $ 1 bn – Covid 19 assistance to Russia
- Flipkart–set up Asia’s largest fulfillment centre at Gurugram
- RBL Bank – Tide India Platform – to provide Bank accounts for Small and medium Enterprise customers
- Google cloud and SpaceX– provide internet service through Starlink satellite
- Jana Small Finance Bank – launched I Choose My Number feature
- Yes Bank– Implemented Transunion’s Onboarding solution for digitising onboarding of its credit card customers
- IDBI Bank – Launched fully digitized loan processing system- 50 products to MSME and Agriculture Sector
- HDFC Bank– top arranger of corporate bond deals in 2020-21
- HDFC Bank – Launched the Chatbotcalled Eva –to provide banking services to rural India
- PayCore Company Became a Certified Partner of Rupay SoftPOS by NPCI
- Equitas SFB – 1st SFB to offer Online Account opening – for NRIs
- Kotak Mahindra Bank – 1st to issue Foreign Portfolio Investment (FPL) to alternate investment funds incorporated in GIFT International Financial Services Centre
- Edelweiss General Insurance – launched 1st of its kind portal Integrated Partner Onboarding Solution (IPOS) to its customers
- Airtel Payment Bank partnered with SafeGold to launch DigiGold (24k Gold)
- Karnataka Vikas Grameena Bank – Awarded with 5 Awards by Pention Fund Regulatory and Development Authority for various enrolment of Atal Pension Yojana
NATIONAL (STATE NEWS) (May 2021 Current affairs)
- MoU with Wadhwani Institute– developing AI based mobile App for cotton farmers.
- Biggest floating solar power plant in India – at Ramagundam
- Launched Medicine from the sky – delivery of medicines through drones
- 1ST State – provide free health insurance facility
- Inaugurated 1st school with indigenous language system ‘NyubuNyvgamYerko’
- Health minister S PangnyuPhom launched ‘i-Learn’
- Utkal Divas on April 1
- Has announced GopabandhuSambadikaSwasthyaBimaYojana – for journalists
- Declared Amboliregion in Western Ghats as Biodiversity heritage site (Fish: SchisturaHiranyakeshi)
- The Mahindra Group Chairman, Anand Mahindra initiated a project titled ‘Oxygen on Wheels’– to ease the transportation of oxygen from producing plants to hospitals and homes
- Launched Mission Oxygen Self-Reliance scheme
- Launched 2 mobile app ‘HamariSadak’ & ‘TameerTaraqqi’ – e-governance & public work system
- World’s highest railway bridge (359 m) – Chenab river
- World Bank and Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) – $300 mn- Drinking water project
- Declared Malerkotlaas 23rddistrict of the state
- 1st Indian State to join COVAX Alliance
- World bank – $32mn – to improve health service quality
TAMIL NADU :
- CM – M K Stalin(DMK) , Governor BanwarilalPurohit
- Under ParvatDharaScheme- rejuvenation of water sources and recharging aquifers through forest department – Rs 20 Crore. 10 forest divisions (Bilaspur, Hamirpur, Jogindernagar, Nachan, Parvati, Nurpur, Rajgarh, Nalagarh, Theog and Dalhousie)
- Launched AyushGhar-Dwar program – to keep the home isolated Covid-19 patients healthy by practising Yoga
- State Police launched a drive- Mission Hausla
- Launched Chief Minister VatsalyaYojana for Orphaned Children
- 1st in Impliementation of Smart City Mission schemes.
- Launched Amrit Vahini App – Online Booking of Hospital beds
- Launched HIT Covid App – monitoring Covid 19 patients
- 1st state to allow Reimbursement of GST on Covid Items Donations
- Launched Sanjeevani Pariyojana – to treat COVID patients at home
- MOMA Market – home delivery of fresh vegetables
- Launched Smart Kitchen Scheme
WEST BENGAL –
- Implementation of 3 welfare Projects – ‘Lakshmi Bhandar Project’, ‘Student credit card initiative’ and ‘Duare Ration’
- Inaugurated a Web portal- CGTeeka to facilitate ease of registration process for COVID-19 vaccination.
NATIONAL NEWS (May 2021 Current affairs)
- PM KUSUM (Pradhan Mantri Kisan Urja Suraksha Evam Uthaan Mahabhiyan ) – Ministry of New & Renewable Energy.
- Food and Agriculture Organisation released ‘Forest Governance by Indigeneous& Tribal People
- Atal Innovation Mission launched ‘AIM-PRIME’ (Program for Researchers on Innovations, Market-Readiness & Entrepreneurship)
- UNDP- Spice Board India – Supply chain in ‘e-spice Bazar’
- Ramesh Pokhriyal (Education minister) launched ‘MyNEP2020’ – National Council For Teachers Education.
- 11th edition of Indo-US exercises VajraPrahar 2021 – Himachal Pradesh
- Supreme Court of India – AI portal ‘SUPACE’ – (Supreme Court Portal for Assistance in Courts Efficiency)
- India’s 1st Agriculture Export Facilitation Centre- Pune
- ‘Drive in Vaccination Center’ – inaugurated by MP Rahul Shewale in Mumbai.
- CM of Union Territory of Puducherry– N Rangasamy
- The armed forces launched operation “CO-JEET”- to aid anti-COVID-19 efforts
- The Indian Army recently launched the 1st Green Solar Energy harnessing plant in Sikkim
- The Indian Navy launched Operation SamudraSetu-II– to help in faster transportation of medical oxygen and other requirements from other countries to India.
- 8 instalment of PM KisanSammanNidhi – Govt of India Transfers Rs 6000 to account of small and marginal farmers.
- Taukate – Cyclone that hit Gujarat, Maharashtra, Goa, etc.
- DIPCOVAN– Covid -19 antibody detection kit – by DRDO
- IREDA – awarded Green Urja Award
- New Delhi – Launched vehicle helpline COVI Van to help senior citizens
- ZebPay – launched India’s 1st Crypto-based lending platform
- Precision Health Platform – Environment Surveillance Platform in Asia – in Bangalore- for Sewage Surveillance
- India launched UNITE AWARE – mobile app – improving safety of UN Peacekeeping Force
- National Commission for Protection of Child Rights – Launched Tele- Counselling Helpline SAMVEDNA
- MyGov& Department of Higher Education – to launch Indian Language Learning
- Bombay stock Exchange MoU with Dun & Bradstreet Information Services India – to promote Small and Medium Enterprises environment.
- 1st Private Digital Court launched by Jupitice Justice Technologies (Chandigarh) using Blockchain & AI
- Pune – topped ‘State of Indian Healthcare- Indian Cities through the lens of Healthcare 2021 report
- National Bamboo Mission (NBM) launched MIS Module to develop Agarbatti industry.
RANKS (May 2021 Current affairs)
- Global gender gap report 2021 (WEF) – India 140th , Bangladesh 1st
- Forbe’s 35thAnnual World’s Billionaries List, Jeff Bezos -1st. MukeshAmbani 1st in Asia
- India – 2nd largest Insurance Technology Market in Asia-Pacific (S&P Global Market Intelligence data)
- USA – topped EY’s Renewable Energy Country Attractiveness Index. India -3rd
- Forbes Highest Paid Athletes – Conor McGregor 1st
INTERNATIONAL NEWS (May 2021 Current affairs)
- ‘Leader’s Summit on Climate’ host by US
- Japan – India 4 Agreements – Financial Support Rs 1.93 crore – Healthcare development projects
- India- USA – Energy Partnership- Targeted Renewable Energy Generation of 450 Gigawatts
- Netherland’s PM &Modi – setup 25 centres of Excellence in Indian Agriculture Sector
- India’s 1st Indo-Korean Friendship Park at Delhi Contonment.
- New Zealand –2nd Country to pass legislation giving Mothers and their Partners the right to paid leave (miscarriage or stillbirth). India -1st
- India – Bangladesh 5 MoUs –boost bilateral cooperation
- Daniel Smith– US interim envoy to India
- SHANTIR OGROSHENA 2021 – mulltinational Military Exercise in Bangladesh.Theme : Robust Peace Keeping Operations
- Prahlad Singh Patel(Union Minister of State for Tourism & Culture) participated in G20 Tourism Ministers’ Meeting held in Italy
- Russia– World’s 1st animal vaccine against the novel coronavirus.
- India and Russia have agreed to establish a ‘2+2 Ministerial Dialogue’ – Foreign & Defence
- Ethiopia added 2 armed groups to its “terror list”, including the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF).
- The world’s longest pedestrian suspension bridge-“Arouca” was opened in Portugal
- The first-ever India-France-Australia Trilateral Foreign Ministerial Dialogue was held in London, UK
- UK – 1st country – allow driverless cars on roads
- China – 1st country to ban all synthetic cannabinoid substances
- China –launched aLong March- 4B rocket carrying Haiyang–2D (HY-2D) satellite
- Iran developed Supercomputer- Simorgh
- NATO has launched joint military exercises “DEFENDER-Europe 21” in Albania
- NASA– 1st Mobile Robot Rover to Moon, VIPER
- Switzerland MoU with WHO – To setup 1st WHO BioHub Facility For rapid Genome Sharing of Viruses & Pathogens
- India –Israel signed 3 year 5th Indo-Israel Agriculture Action Plan (IIAP)
- International Energy agency (IEA) released ‘Net Zero by 2050 ‘ report – frame a Road map to achieve Net Zero Global Carbon emissions by 2050
- OneWeb Partnered with Japan’s SoftBank Group to Promote its Satellite Communication
- INTERPOL Launched ID – Art Mobile App to help identify Stolen aircrafts
SPORTS (May 2021 Current affairs)
- ChinkiYadav – gold medal- ISSF World cup – Women 25m pistol
- Hubert Hurkacz – Miami open Men’s Single Title
- NuwanZoysa(Former Sri Lanka player and coach) has been banned from all cricket for 6 years – breaching the ICC anti-corruption code.
- ThisaraPerera (Sri Lankan all-rounder and former captain) has announced his retirement from international cricket.
- AniyanMidhun of Nattika– won gold – South Asian Wushu Championship in Nepal
- AIBA Men’s World Boxing Championships – Tashkent
- Lewis Hamilton– won the Portuguese Grand Prix.
- The All India Chess Federation has launched the ‘Checkmate Covid Initiative’ to help the chess community affected by the pandemic.
- Mark Selby(English professional player) has become the World Snooker Champion for the fourth time.
- Badminton World Federation announced that India shuttler PV Sindhu and Canada’s Michelle Li -nominated as athlete ambassadors for the International Olympic Committee’s (IOC) ‘Believe in Sport’ campaign
- Rafael Nadal– 10th Italian open title
- Max Verstappen– Monaco Grand Prix 2021
- Sami Khedira (German Footballer)- retired from International football
- FIFA U-12 Women’s World Cup to be conducted in India
- International Table Tennis Federation partnered with Stupa Sports Analysis for AI Based real time match analysis
- 2022 Women’s Rugby World Cup – host by New Zealand
APPOINTMENTS (May 2021 Current affairs)
- N V Ramana – 48th Chief Justice of India
- T Rabi Sankar(RBI executive director) – 4th Deputy Governor of the central bank
- Chintan Vaishnav – New Mission Director of NITI Aayog’s AIM
- S . Raman – New Chairman & MD of SIDBI
- Subash Kumar– Chairman & MD of Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC)
- Virat Kohli – Brand Ambassador of Vivo, Brand Ambassador of Digital Insurance
- MukhmeetBhalia – Director General of Employees State Insurance Corporation (ESIC)
- Vjosa Osmani –President of Kosovo
- AdilZainulbhai – chairman of Capacity Building Commission
- Tarun Bajaj – new Revenue Secretary under the Ministry of Finance
- Nguyen XuanPhuc – President of Vietnam
- Pham Minh Chinh– PM of Vietnam
- Anvee Bhutani – Oxford student union president
- Mallika Srinivasan – Chairperson of the Public Enterprises Selection Board (PESB)
- Ouhoumoudou Mahamadou – PM of Niger
- Shabir Hussein Shekhadam Khandwawala – BCCI Anti-Corrruption Unit Chief.
- Mahesh Balasubramanian – MD of Kotak Mahindra Life Insurance Company Limited (KLI)
- Ramesh Powar– Health coach of Indian Women’s Cricket team
- Martin Griffiths – New chief at UN office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA)
- Neera Tanden – Senior adviser to U.S President Joe Biden
- Satoshi Uchida – New company Head of Suzuki Motorcycle India
- Penpa Tsering – President of Tibet
- Bashar Al-Assad – President Of Syria
- Gunjan Shah– CEO of Bata India
- Moctar Ouane – PM of Mali
- Martha KarambuKoome– 1st Woman Chief Justice of Kenya
- Narinder Batra : President of International Hockey Federation (FIH)
- Rajesh Bansal – CEO of Reserve Bank Innovation Hub.
- Andrew R Jassy – CEO of Amazon
- Jagjit Pavadia – President of the International Narcotics Control Board
- T V Somanathan – New Finance Secretary
- Amitabh Chaudhry – MD & CEO of Axis Bank
- R M Sundaram – Director of Indian Institute of Rice Research (IIRR)
- Prafulla Chandra Pant– Acting chairperson of the National Human Rights Commission
- Bill Nelson – administrator of NASA
- Subodh Kumar Jaiswal – Director of CBI
- Anatole Collinet Makosso – PM of Congo
- Arvind Kumar – MD of Chennai Petroleum corporation
- David Attenborough – People’s Advocate of UN Climate Change Conference Of the Parties
BOOKS AND AUTHORS (May 2021 Current affairs)
- Names of the Women- JeetThayil
- Suparipalana- Dr Shailendra Joshi (Telugu translation of Echo T Calling: Towards People-Centric Governance)
- ManoharParrikar : Brilliant Mind , Simple Life – NithinGokhale
- OdishaItihaaas– UtkalnKeshariHarekrushnaMahtab
- Sikkim: A History of Intrigue and Alliance – Preet Mohan Singh Malik.
- Nehru, Tibet and China – Avtar Singh Bhasin
- India and Asian Geopolitics: The Past, Present – ShivshankarMenon
- “7 Lessons from Everest Expedition Learnings from Life and Business – Aditya Gupta
- The Bench (Children’s Book) – Meghan Markle
- Elephant in the Womb – Kalki Koechlin
- All Time Favourites For Children – Ruskin Bond
- 1971 : The Beginning of india’s Cricketing Greatness – Boria Majumdar & Gautam Bhattacharya
AWARDS AND HONOURS (May 2021 Current affairs)
- BiswabhusanHarichandran – KalingaRatnaSamman (Odia Literature)
- SharankumarLimbale – SaraswatiSamman (Sanathan)
- Rajinikanth – 51stDadasahebPhalke Award
- Alfred V. Aho – Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) A.M. Turing Award (Nobel Prize of Computing)
- Maria Ressa -2021 laureate of the UNESCO/Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize.
- MahinderGiri (Rajaji Tiger Reserve) – International Ranger Award
- Maggie O’Farrell’s Hamnet– National Book Critics Circle Prize
- SumanChakraborty – 30th GD Birla Award for Scientific Research
- AshutoshBhardwaj– DevishankarAwasthi Award (for his work – Pitra_ Vadh)
- Dutee Chand (Indian sprinter) – Chhattisgarh Veerni Award
- Singer Pink – Icon Award at the 2021 Billboard Music Awards (BBMAs)
- The Japanese Government awarded the “Order of Rising Sun” to a Bengaluru based Japanese teacher- Shyamala Ganesh
- Jacinda Ardern – Topped World’s 50 Greatest Leaders’ List for 2021 (Fortune Magazine)
- Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank – International Invicible Gold Medal of 2021
- Andrea Meza – Miss Universe 2020
- Suresh Mukund– 10th Annual World Choreography Award 2020
- V Kartikeyan Pandian– International Hockey Federation (FIH) President’s Award
- Valeria Luiselli–International Dublin Literary Award 2021. Novel – Lost Children Archive.
- Naomi Osaka – Sportswoman of the Year at the 2021 Laureus World Sports Awards. Sportsman – RafelNadal
- Anupam Kher – Best Actor award – New York City International Film Festival
- Dr. D Nageshwar Reddy – 1st Indian to win Rudolf V Schindler Award from American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE).
- C. N. R. Rao – 2020 Energy Frontier Award (International Eni Awards)
- Amartya Sen – Princess of Asturias Award (social Science category)
- Hockey India – Won Etienne Glichitch Award
- Jane Goodall – 2021’s Templeton Prize
- Y Nuklu Phom – Whitley Award 2021 for creating Biodiversity Peace Corridor – to protect Amur Falcon
- Shakunthala Haraksingh Thilsted – 1st women of Asian heritage to receive the World Food Prize
IMPORTANT DAYS (May 2021 Current affairs)
- May 1– International Labour Day
- May 2 – World Tuna Day (by UN)
- May 3 –World Press Freedom Day.Theme : Information as a Public Good
- May 4- Coal Miners’ Day.
- May 4- International Firefighters’ Day
- May 5 – World Athletics Day.
- May 5 – World Hand Hygiene Day.Theme : Seconds Save Lives : Clean Your Hands
- May 5 – International Day of the Midwife. Theme : Follow the Data : Invest in Midwives.
- May 6 – International No Diet Day. Symbol is Light Blue Ribbon
- May 8 – World Migratory Bird Day 2021.Theme : Sing, Fly, Soar – Like a Bird
- May 8- World Thalassemia Day. Theme : Addressing Health Inequalities Across The Global Thalassaemia Community.
- May 8 – World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day. Theme: Unstoppable
- May 12 – International Nurses Day
- May 15- International day of Families. Theme : Families and New technologies
- May 16- International Day of Light (IDL)
- May 16 – National Dengue Day
- May 16 – International Day of Living Together in Peace
- May 18 – International Museum Day. Theme: The Future of Museums: Recover and Remagine.
- May 20 – World Bee Day.Theme : Bee engaged: Build Back Better for Bees
- May 20 – World Metrology Day.Theme : Measurement for Health
- May 21 – International Tea Day
- May 22– International Day for Biological Diversity. Theme : We’re part of the solution.
- May 23- World Turtle Day.Theme : Turtles Rock!
- May 25- World Thyroid Day. May 28- World Hunger Day
- May 28 – International Day of Action for Women’s Health
- May 28- Amnesty International Day
- May 28– Menstrual Hygiene and Health. Theme : Action and Investment in Menstrual Hygiene and Health
- May 29 – International Everest Day
OBITUARIES (May 2021 Current affairs)
- Isamu Akasaki – Nobel Prize Winner in Physics.
- K C Chakrabarty– Reserve Bank of India Deputy Governor
- RadheshyamKhemka – President of Gita Press
- Anil Dharker (journalist and author) : founder and director Mumbai International Literary Festival.
- Walter Anthony Gustavo WAG Pinto – Lieutenant General (led India-Pakistan War)
- Bhagwati Singh – UP minister (Samajwadi Party)
- Shashikala Om PrakashSaigal – Veteran Film and TV actress
- DigvijaysinhZala – 1st Environment Minister of India (1982 – 1984)
- Fatima RafiqZakaria – Chairman of Maulana Azad Educational Trust and Khairul Islam Trust Mumbai
- Chandra Naidu – India’s 1st Female cricket commentator
- K Raghothaman – Central Bureau of Investigation officer
- Rajeev Satav– Senior congress leader and Rajyasabha MP
- Yuan Longping – Chinese Scientist- developed Hybrid Rice
- Michael Collins – Astronaut
- Rohit Sardana – T V Journalist
- Bikramjeet Kanwarpal– Actor
- Chandro Tomar– Shooting
- Vanraj Bhatia – Music Composer
- Pou lSchlueter – Former PM of which Country.
- H S Doreswamy – Freedom Fighter. Pauravani- Newspaper run by him
- Sunderlal Bahuguna (Padma Vibhushan ) – He coined the slogan : Ecology is the Permanent Economy
We hope this article on May 2021 Current Affairs helps you in clearing your exam. Share this monthly current affairs blog with your friends.
For More Banking and SSC Content:
𝐅𝐨𝐥𝐥𝐨𝐰 𝐮𝐬 𝐨𝐧 𝐈𝐧𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐦:https://www.instagram.com/icd_kollam/
𝐅𝐨𝐥𝐥𝐨𝐰 𝐮𝐬 𝐨𝐧 𝐅𝐚𝐜𝐞𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤: https://www.facebook.com/ICDKLM
𝐉𝐨𝐢𝐧 𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐓𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐦 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐥: https://t.me/joinchat/SlbgcEr-pPw6gLI7
Subscribe Our YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/icdkollam-jk/community